Living with Dementia
In addition to memory, dementia can alter a person’s perception and emotions. When a loved one is experiencing these effects of dementia, it can be quite difficult for family and friends to communicate with them. Learn about some common dementia-related scenarios and how to overcome communication challenges with your loved one.
If your loved one’s sense of time is distorted
- Sometimes the best response is to simply accept that your loved one believes they are living in the past
- If your loved one appears to be in another time and place
- Avoid attempting to bring them to your reality - the facts won’t change their perception
- Acknowledge them and introduce yourself
- Ask if you can spend time together