Living Up to Our Values
Some companies seem to change their values at the drop of a hat. Sunrise has remained true to our founding values for decades. They’re as relevant today as they’ve always been. Because, even after many years of providing care to tens of thousands of people, Sunrise is still focused on meeting the unique needs of each and every resident.
Sunrise Founders Paul and Terry Klaassen started with a clear mission: to champion quality of life for all seniors. Our resident-centred approach delivers high quality care built around the individual, personalised needs of Sunrise residents. This approach is embodied in our Principles of Service.
Our Principles of Service
- Preserving Dignity - No two people are ever the same. Each Sunrise resident has a unique life experience and the right to expect the respect they deserve. In our Reminiscence Neighbourhoods, for instance, we help people living with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of memory loss to engage in meaningful activities that create not only pleasant days, but also a sense of purpose.
- Nurturing the Spirit - Life’s about more than simply existing. At Sunrise we care for more than the physical needs of our residents. Social interaction, mental stimulation and – where residents want it – spiritual nourishment are all available based on each resident's preferences.
- Celebrating Individuality - Each person we meet at Sunrise has a unique life story that we want to hear and understand. It helps us to create an Individualised Service Plan (ISP), based on the unique characteristics, wellness needs and preferences of each resident. It’s a plan that evolves over time, too, as each resident’s care needs change.
- Enabling Freedom of Choice - Options are a way of life at Sunrise. In our dining room, for instance, the menu always includes home-cooked meals available along with à la carte favourites. Catering for special dietary requirements is also a norm for us. We also believe that residents should be free to choose when they want to wake up - as late or as early as they want — just like they've always done. The Sunrise way of life is all about being able to go about your day however you like.
- Encouraging Independence - It’s your home, not ours. So we enable our residents to be self-reliant in whatever way is possible and comfortable. Our care homes are specially designed to encourage mobility in a safe environment, and designated care managers are trained to support each residents' choices appropriately.
- Involving Family and Friends - Family and friends are welcome to participate in all our community activities and events – and free to come and go as they like. We encourage guests to spend time with residents at any time of day or night, so you never have to plan around "visiting hours." We also recognise the importance of communicating openly and regularly with family members to ensure we are providing the very best service to our residents.
Our Core Values
Each Sunrise team member’s responsibilities and their personal interactions with residents are guided by our Core Values:
- Joy in Service